Wednesday, January 4, 2012

I have a new admiration for those who co-sleep/bed-share with their babies!

It is something we weren't able to do when Myles was first born, because we had a full size bed that was barely big enough for Paul & I. Now that we have a king bed, I have tried during times that Myles wakes in the night fights going back to sleep, but our room is much to bright and he always ends up thinking it is time to play. Well last night he was having a hard time sleeping due to teething and a cough he has, so I ended up taking him into the guest room and sleeping in there with him (it is much darker in the guest room and also I didn't want to keep Paul up if it didn't work). It took Myles about 15 minutes of wiggling around to get comfy with his little butt in the air and feet in my face before he fell asleep. I was nervous of rolling into him, having him scoot his face under the blankets and afraid if I moved to get more comfortable I would wake him up. However once I pulled all blankets to my side of the bed and finally fell asleep, we slept good till morning. I think maybe having co-slept/bed-shared from the beginning it may be easier, since we would all be used to it, but since we are not and he is a wiggly sleeper I just have to say I really have new admiration for those who can do it every night!! I will say there is a lot of controversy in the news regarding co-sleeping/bed-sharing, but if it is done properly and safe rules are followed, I have heard it is awesome & can be really a wonderful thing. Maybe if we have another baby we can do this from the start!

Here are some links on proper bed-sharing: 

http://safebedsharing.org/safetyguidelines.html

http://www.askdrsears.com/topics/sleep-problems/scientific-benefits-co-sleeping

No comments:

Post a Comment