Tuesday, January 31, 2012

Why my toddler rides rear facing

The simple answer? Well, because it is the safest way for them to ride in a car. Children's heads in proportion to their bodies are larger then the ratio of adults, their bones not fully fused and so with these facts it stands to reason that great damage could be done in a car accident. Data shows that rear facing can be up to 500% safer for children. Here are some more facts taken from http://www.carseat.se/rearfacing/safety-benefits/ : .

"500% may sound like a lot but numbers can be hard to grasp.  In 100 collisions of rear facing kids, 8 rear facing children will die or become seriously injured.  92 will walk away fine.  In 100 collisions with forward facing  kids, 40 will die or become seriously injured.  60 will walk away fine.  Those are large differences which help to save lives."

That to me is good reason to keep my child rear facing as long as possible. New AAP recommendations are for children to be kept rear facing till at least 2, but longer if possible depending on the weight & height limits of their car seat. We invested in a True Fit Premier car seat. It is possible for Myles to remain RF in that seat up till 35 pounds. The height on the seat is pretty tall too. When he outgrows the weight (he is around 25 pounds at almost 18 months, so we have a while to go), he can be turned FF and still use the seat till 65 pounds and 50" tall (which seems huge!!). I plan to use the seat as long as I can and keep him in the 5 point harness since there is also research that shows that it is safer to do so then a booster & seatbelt.

Many parents wonder if it is safe for children to rear face as they get bigger due to leg room. I hear people say that they worry if they are in an accident their child's leg might get broke if it is is having to be crossed or up against the seat due to length. There are very few (if any) cases documented of broken legs due to RF and to me I would much sooner have my child break a leg, then his neck.

A lot of people view turning their 1 year old (and 20 pound child) forward facing as a milestone & something to be excited about. I personally am nervous for the day we have to turn Myles forward facing. Even adults would be safer if we could ride rear facing. I know it will be fun when he is old enough to have him where I can look back & see him a bit more easily but for now I am happy to keep him as he is. He can still look around & doesn't seem to have any problems with being RF.

I just encourage anyone who reads this, to do their research!! Don't just turn your baby forward facing because you think it will be easier, everyone else is doing it, you have been told you can at 1 (and 20 pounds). Research and I am sure you will be keeping your son or daughter RF a bit longer!! 

No comments:

Post a Comment